Phone etiquette is essential to providing your clients or customers exceptional service.
Notwithstanding advances in technology, phone calls remain a popular form of communication in the business world and phone etiquette a critical part of making a good impression.
In this blog, we provide tips and tricks for practicing professional phone etiquette.
The importance of professional phone etiquette in business
Answering the phone professionally and courteously sets the tone for customer conversations. It shows you value your customers’ time and are committed to providing them excellent service.
Here are some tips:
- Answer the phone promptly and courteously.
- Introduce yourself and your company.
- Speak clearly and politely.
- Listen actively and attentively.
- Repeat the customer’s name and reason for calling, to ensure accuracy.
- Avoid putting customers on hold for extended periods.
- Take notes to ensure that you don’t forget important details of the conversation.
- Thank the customer for his or her time and business.
A real-life example of good phone etiquette
Jane, a receptionist at a law firm, received a call from a customer who was in a panic because he had lost some legal documents.
Jane listened carefully to the customer and assured him she would do everything she could to help him. Then she put him on hold and contacted an attorney able to resolve the issue. In the end, the customer was grateful; he even left a positive review for the firm.
Jane’s excellent phone etiquette and willingness to go above and beyond for the customer are what made this a memorable client experience.
The impact of good phone etiquette on business
Positive customer experiences are imperative, and most of the time it all starts with a phone call. Good phone etiquette creates a positive and professional image for your company, engenders customer loyalty, and leads to repeat business, sales, and growth.
It’s crucial, then, to train your employees in proper phone etiquette and implement procedures to ensure your customers receive the best service possible.
Additional resources for professional phone etiquette
Here are some additional resources that can help you improve your office phone etiquette:
- ”9 Rules of Office Phone Etiquette,” Glassdoor Blog
- ”The Essential Guide To Phone Etiquette: Dos, Don’ts & Tips,” dexcomm.com
- ”How To Answer the Phone Professionally (With Examples),” indeed.com
- ”The 11 Essential Rules of Phone Etiquette,” hubspot.com
Improve your phone etiquette today
Proper phone etiquette is essential for any business to provide exceptional customer service. By following the tips and tricks mentioned in this blog, you can ensure your customers have a positive experience when they call your business.
At Mumber, we understand the importance of effective communication in business. Our vanity phone number marketing services can help entice potential customers to call you, and your superb phone etiquette will keep your clients happy.